Thanksgiving Day, a day set aside specifically to remember our blessings and give thanks. From the beginning of our country's existence we have given thanks to our Heavenly Father, for His hand upon our lives. Sometimes it is easier to give thanks than at other times. I imagine those brave travelers on the Mayflower finally reaching land after a tumultuous journey, upon the sight of land the rejoicing and time of thanksgiving that must have followed. For some on that journey a loved one was lost to illness, yet they were thankful at their arrival.
For me, some days are easier to be thankful than others. The Bible says "be thankful in everything". This is a lofty task. During a challenging, trying time, I have little feelings of thankfulness. I usually cannot see the benefit or anything to be thankful of during a difficulty. I am usually sour, dour, and irritated - not thankful. I just want whatever 'it' is to go away. How do you become thankful during those trying times? One piece of advice is to keep a thankful journal. A journal one can refer to when one isn't feeling particularly thankful. Remember the things that are good, to remember what God has done in your life. Usually after that trying time, during reflection I can see many things of which to be thankful. I am not much a journal person - this blog is a close as I tend to get to a journal. But this is something that I think I want to institute, it could be a file on my computer.
Today, on Thanksgiving Day Eve, I remember a few things I am thankful for in my life:
The gift of God's Son Jesus, His sacrifice on the Cross, that I can have eternal life and look forward to living with Him in heaven.
My wonderful, loving husband. He truly is a gift.
My beautiful daughters. I have been entrusted with precious lives that have brought much joy.
My warm, snug home. It hasn't always been snug but it is today. It is just the right size for our family.
Our freedoms we have in America - - many of which are taken for granted... speech, religion, mobility, etc.
Our health - - we have thus far been blessed with health.
Fabulous friends that surround us during the good, bad, and the ugly.
Simple things such as a soft bed, hot water, email, modern appliances, reliable vehicles, beauty of nature
This list could go on and on... it is just a small sampling of what I am thankful for this day.

No comments:
Post a Comment