Yesterday, I encountered Cruetzfeld-Jakob Disease face-to-face. My heart was already hurting for my friend M and knew she was suffering. I read about the disease on-line and I followed M through our mutual friend C who had been visiting and keeping in close contact with M's husband. Yet, nothing prepares you entirely for the personal encounter.
I approached her room rather timidly. In a few of the other rooms, a television was playing or people were visiting. But mostly the ward is quiet. Not sure who or exactly what I would find, I made my way down the hall. C had alerted me that M was no longer able to verbally communicate and easily startled. C had been with her most of the day so I knew I would find her.
I was, frankly, stunned. This disease has robbed M of her vibrancy, her motor functions, ... her voice. Just a few weeks ago she was running errands, caring for her family, can this really happen this rapidly? She entered the hospital a few days ago under her own power.
I had trepidation prior to my arrival as it has been some time since our last real life contact. It is not clear how much M understands or remembers. Would my presence bring confusion and anxiety or would it be appreciated? I certainly did not want to add to her level of anxiety. Honestly, if it were not for the fact that C was there, I likely would have stayed home.
At the room's threshold I found M's husband, two boys, C, and two other ladies. Everyone greeted my warmly and introductions were quickly made for all. Yet the picture that made the biggest impression was the picture of friendship and compassion. C was at M's bedside, holding M's hands which were balled up tight into fists and helping M to gently lower her arms. C quickly explained to me that M had just been moved from the chair into the bed. C was helping her relax to lower her arms.
This picture of compassion and friendship continued through my entire visit. M would look to C for assurance or explanation. M tried with telepathy, intense stares to communicate. C would quietly assure her and console her. She only stepped away from her bedside to eat and take a short break. Her acts of compassion stayed focused until M feel asleep. Holding her hand and keeping her attention on her until C was certain M was sleeping as peacefully as one with CJD is able.
I am humbled to have C as a friend. I admire her so much for her loyalty, compassion, and love for her dear friend. I came home to look up the word compassion:
• Definition of COMPASSION: sympathetic consciousness of others' distress together with a desire to alleviate itThis definition falls short of what I witnessed yesterday. A picture of C at M's bedside would give a much more complete definition.

No comments:
Post a Comment