For several days I
have wallowed in a myriad of thoughts and emotions. Many times I set out to write
something. I have come up empty. I could not write a Facebook status or a
prayer request to our church's prayer chain.
My heart aches. It has a
heaviness that profound sadness produces.
This ache is borne of empathy, deep empathy for my cousin.
I have been side
blinded by the depth of feeling. It has
left me speechless. If you know me the
least bit, you would realize that this is a rare occurrence.
I discovered in this
process, that family, however remote or unknown, is family. I have
cousins on the west coast. I have
met all of them during my childhood, but have not met all the spouses nor
children. I have not seen any of them
for many years, more than 20 years have passed.
We have all grown up, married, are raising families. The miles continue to separate us.
This week, one of
these families, has suffered a devastating loss. The death of their oldest son, just 25 years
old. I did not have the opportunity to
meet this young man. I have not had the
opportunity to meet his siblings or his father.
I don't even recall the last time I met his mother, my cousin. Of this family of cousins, she is the least
known to me. Regardless, my heart is
broken for this family who is grieving.
I grieve with them
many, many miles away. I grieve the loss
of life. I am a parent which has given
me perspective and empathy for a grieving parent. It is not
right for a parent to bury their child.
The tears flow freely, the prayers are earnest, the virtual hug is
extended, love is sent. I have grieved
and had empathy for several who are not family.
But the depth of emotion was not as deep. It must be because family is family. It connects us, bonds us, knits us
together. RIP dear 2nd cousin who has
left this world much to early in life. I hope to meet you in Heaven one day.
No comments:
Post a Comment