Friday, June 7, 2013

Where is the sun?

Recent days there have been reports of the amount of gray days we have seen here in Minnesota.  Depending on the report, 15-25 days in the past 90 days have had sunshine.  Our spring has been cooler than normal, gloomy, rainy, downright dismal.  The good news?  It is nearing the Summer Solstice so our daylight hours are abundant.  It is light from 5 am to nearly 10 pm.  So even though it is gloomy, it is not dark and gloomy, as it can be in December and January.

Many are complaining.  We have a right as Minnesotans that survive the harshness of winter to desire and clamor for spring.  We have earned it.  After days of bitter cold, snow covered, tree barren, sometimes brown grass season, dark days, we have earned bright days full of sunshine, green grass, butterflies, and birds.  This spring has not brought to us what we consider our just desserts.

Rather this spring has brought snow, late spring snows in May!  Our children were kept home April 30 due to a major snow storm.  We did not see green grass and leaves on trees until mid-May.  Birds arrived in April trying to survive the snow and cold.  Some of us have fed them faithfully.  When the snow stopped, the rain began to fall.  There was a day in in the midst that was 98 degrees where we sweltered to be returned to the 50s and 60s.   The heat is still on in most homes, our shorts and t-shirts still tucked away in the back of closets and in bins under the bed. Definitely not a spring of rewards following a winter season of cold and snow.

I have pondered this cold spring.  I called my father that has lived his entire life, as I, in Minnesota.  I received confirmation that indeed this is not the first nor only spring that is cold and snowy.  In fact, it isn't all that rare.  Dad and I reminisced of previous cold springs.

As others have complained and lamented, I have been more quiet in appreciation of this spring.  Well, once the snow stopped, I appreciate this spring weather.   I am not one for high heat and humidity.  In our home where the weather is the land of extremes - extreme cold and windchills countered with high heat and humidity indexes.  I am enjoying these days where I can walk out the door with only a sweatshirt and shoes rather than parka and boots.  My heat is not running daily and we do not require an air conditioner.  Much easier on the budget in the heating and cooling category.  We also cope with our national state bird, the mosquito in spring and summer.  I am enjoying the cooler temps keep this pesky insect in hibernation.  No complaints here.

So yes, I am enjoying our cooler than normal spring.  I like to walk and jog, these are perfect temperatures for outdoor exercise.  I like snuggling with a blanket on cooler evenings.  I have an abundance of sweatshirts being drawn to them as a moth to a flame.  This is ideal temperatures to wear them and give each an opportunity to see the light of day.

I have considered complaining of the lack of sunshine.  It would be terrible if not for the abundance of daylight.   It has been hard to keep my chin up, have motivation, and stay off the sofa.  And yet, the news is filled with tragedy.  Oklahoma has been devastated with tornadoes as well as many other states.  My home state is prone to these destructive beasts and this is tornado season.  We have been spared intense storms with our cooler weather.  Unfortunately, the storms have been record breaking huge for those to the south of us, leveled towns, and taken lives.  I do not think I will complain about a lack of sunshine.

Others have dealt with record rains.  Their river banks over flowing, basements flooded.   I do not think I will complain about a lack of sunshine.

And yet others are coping with wildfires that consuming acres of land and turning homes into ashes.   I do not think I will complain about a lack of sunshine.

And others are grieving loss of loved ones from shootings and bombings.   I do not think I will complain about a lack of sunshine.

Take heart Minnesota friends.  I am confident that eventually we will get our sunshine and warm days.  It may be a while.  But in the meantime be thankful for all we have and that we are not suffering devastating loss.  Enjoy going out to the car and driving away immediately without the requirement of first warming it up and scraping windshields.  Enjoy the lower cooling and heating bill.  Enjoy the long days of daylight.  Rather than the beach, enjoy long walks and times around the bon fire without the pesky mosquito.  Being thankful the drought is ending with the rain.  Love the green grass and leaves we have been granted.  Look for the beauty in the midst of gloominess.

No comments:

Post a Comment