This morning I woke up to March like weather. Temperatures in the 30s, cold, snowy, sleety, rainy, cloudy, dreary weather. Much like yesterday. One would not suspect that it is the beginning of May. Oh, there have been a few days of teasing that Spring is here but they are few and far inbetween.
Now, it is not many degrees below zero or even below freezing. Well, almost not below freezing, this morning's 31 degrees in technically below freezing. I am not shoveling the snow, as family in western ND is doing after their May Day blizzard. I am not wearing a parka, gloves, hat, scarf, long underwear, heavy socks, and boots to go out the door. Yet, this is getting old, this winter like weather. It is dreary, it is wet, it is cold. Our already short gardening season is shrinking.
I have been considering complaining. And I could complain I suppose. Yet, my perspective has been tweaked just a wee bit.
You see:
I could be sand bagging and pumping water, fighting a flood. Instead, I am heating my house with hot water based heat.
I could be standing in shambles of a home following severe storms and tornados. Instead I am dusting and vacuuming and shoving my junk around my already over-stuffed house.
I could be hearing the weather forecast under a storm watch wondering if it is now my turn. Instead I am just wondering if Spring will have a chance this year.
I could be living in a shelter and wondering how to recover from a tsunami that has destroyed my whole way of life. Instead I am praying for those affected.
I could be fearing the next tremor will strike bringing down already unstable, shaken structures I call home. Instead I am writing this blog atop solid footing (I think).
I could be looking to the sky praying for rain to end the drought. Instead I am seeing rain in my forecast and watching the grass turn green.
I could be scrounging, looking for my next meal, worried about my children's malnutrition. Instead I am on a diet trying to lose too many extra pounds.
I could be living under oppression. Instead I still live in the best country in the world, even if I am scared for our future.
I could be mourning the death of loved ones lost to illness or tragedy. Instead I am hugging my own near and telling them I love them.
My perspective has been tweaked. I really do not have much to complain about where the weather is concerned, or really anything else for the matter. Going about my day thankful for the opportunity to clean, diet, wear a sweatshirt, and hug the ones I love.
Very well said, Betty Jo. Thanks for the blog - It really touched my heart today. Thank you for choosing to be grateful!
ReplyDeletewow. Thought provoking. Thank you.
ReplyDelete