Summer time! It is already August. Summer months are quickly coming to an end. I had grand plans to blog regularly. Ha! Summer took over and blogging was a fleeting ideal. Here in the upper midwest, one must take advantage of these minimal days of long day light hours and warm temperatures. All too soon, colder temperatures and darkness will descend leaving but a shadow of a memory of summer.
Honestly, my favorite season is Autumn. It is still warm during the day but the humidity is gone. The ground is dry and crunchy. Oh, and I admittedly I am one who likes to wear shorts with a sweatshirt. Crazy but true. The downside to Autumn is the constant lessening of daylight hours. I crave daylight and the long dark days of late autumn and winter are disheartening.
I am getting ahead of myself... you are probably wondering what I have been doing this summer. A better question to ask is what is God doing in my life this summer? Along with mowing the lawn every four to five days, trying to stay cool in the rather ridiculous humidity, I have been seeking God's direction in my life.
This fall is a transition for our family that directly impacts my lifestyle. After eight years of homeschooling both of my children will be attending school outside our homes. We are all excited for this transition. I believe my children have the foundation academically and, more importantly, spiritually to attend school. Yet this change means that for the first time in 16 years I will have considerable time to myself during the school hours.
As I have pondered the upcoming 'freedom', I have been wondering exactly what I should do with my time. I am a bit on the lazy side coupled that I am not one with a desire for an immaculate house (i.e. not a great housekeeper) could be a recipe for a self-centered disaster. So I have been praying.
Prayer is powerful. My lazy summer turned into a summer of opportunities to serve in our community. I have seen first hand and been able to serve those living at poverty level. Each time I come away humbled and reminded of how blessed and privileged I am in these challenging economic times.
I also had the opportunity to serve at a Christian camp that had an influx of registrations for Jr. High camp. I answered a plea for help as they sought out additional counselors. I had a fun and exhausting week. My cabin was full of a group of beautiful young ladies who stole my heart. I have the honor of praying for them as they have returned home to finish summer vacation and return to school. I am reminded that life is not easy for anyone but for teenagers, life is even more challenging!
Now I am looking at the final weeks of summer and wondering just what fall will look like... I believe God has been preparing me for something. I just am not sure exactly what it is yet. I am considering taking some classes and researching out ideas in this direction. I am not necessarily looking for a degree but additional Biblical training and discipleship training seems appropriate.
I want to be the best I can be in God's Army. I am a bit scared and at the same thrilled to say "Here am I, use me, send me!" I am not perfect but neither was Moses, Noah, Joseph, Naomi and Ruth, Job, or David. I am learning to trust God and let Him make my weaknesses His strengths.
In the meantime, I am sad that summer is ending. The less structured pace, the sometimes lazy days are all too quickly coming to an end. Now it is time to prepare for the first days of school and activities. As well as time to prepare for all that God has in store for me in this next phase of life.
No comments:
Post a Comment