Tuesday, July 24, 2012

County Fair Judging - try not to melt

Since, I am on a roll, three blog posts in three days.  How about number four?  I am not certain I can maintain this pace but willing to roll with it while it lasts.

It is hot, yet the temperature is not extreme.  High 80s, low 90s is not extreme temperatures in my book.  But the humidity is high, making it miserable.  The summer season in Minnesota is short so I try, really I do try, to make the best of it.  I prefer short, t-shirts, sandals, no jacket to long underwear, three additional layers, parka, boots, hat, mittens, scarf, and pocket warmers.  It is much easier to dash out with out 20 pounds of clothing.  But the humidity ... I could do with a bit less, please.

Summer, County Fair time in this place where I live.  I have found a new role as a 4-H project judge.  This means I *get* to sit in steel, airless buildings for 7-8 hours oohing and aahing over a child's project, asking questions, encouraging him/her, and rewarding him/her with ribbons.

This year I am judging Cloverbud projects.  These are the Kindergarten through 3rd graders.  Each child gets a participation ribbon at this age.  Most are so excited to be there and enter their item in the fair.  You can see the thrill in their faces as they tell me how they colored, painted, glued their masterpiece.  The pride displayed as they tell me about their favorite animal including all the interesting facts.  Some are shy requiring gentle persuasion to talk to me, others are simply so cute I would give them a ribbon for just talking to me, no project required.  Picture pig tailed, sweet smiling little girls and energetic, freshly bathed little boys. Is this not the best job in the world?  Mind you I am melting in the humidity, sure that my hair is frizzy as parents take our picture to commemorate the experience.

It is all about the experience for the child.  I get an experience too and learn a few new things in the process.  Such as, spiders have 8 eyes as well as 8 legs, pumpkin bread made from scratch is tastier than from a box, grandmas are really good at threading sewing machines, big brothers are extremely helpful in building rockets, Lego creations are fun to build, elementary art teachers are awesome, and tree kangaroos live in the rain forest and look really cuddly.

So today I make way to my third fair this summer.  I can hardly wait to try the delicious treats made, see the beautiful pictures colored, learn about another exotic animal, and learn how to care for a pet fish.  I am hoping to melt off a few pounds in the humidity - - I may be lucky as it is raining today. Who knows, maybe I'll require a second layer. Then again, probably not, this is the county fair, it would break tradition.

1 comment:

  1. Bless you for your gift of patience and for all you do for these kids. You make the world a better place.

    ReplyDelete