When you pray and declare to God a character trait such as God, the Healer, be ready for the test. Once you tell God that He is something in your life, He may and most likely will test you.Indeed! Immediately during the weekend this was proven to be true. During one of the sessions we corporately praised God and exclaimed how He is Jehovah-Rapha (The Lord you're Healer, Exod 15:26). The following morning, I awoke to check the time, rolling over to the pain of a headache that was the type to turn into a incapacitating migraine. I prayed immediately, again extolling God as my Jehovah-Rapha. I left my healing to Him. I prayed that I knew He was capable and even willing to heal me immediately, but I would be content to stay in bed at this great retreat if that is what would bring Glory to Him. I dozed again for a few minutes and awoke to a pain free head! God had tested me, heard my prayer, and healed me instantly.
I thought, "Wow, I passed the test. A+, pat on the back, yeah God." My faith grew abundantly in that moment. I celebrated my small victory and went about my life. Now, four weeks later, I am going about my business as usual which includes being a wife, mom, homemaker, friend, and ladies bible study student. I diligently worked on my homework a day before the next meeting. I pondered the following from Genesis 16:13:
El Roi - the God who sees: He sees me when no else cares to looks. He sees through the smile we wear when we're dying inside. He sees our hurt when we're mistreated. He sees us when we cry into our pillow because we feel unloved. He see beyond our sin into the depth of our need. He sees when we're hiding. Running. He sees when we continue to sow the seed of His Word even in the floodplain of our grief. - - Beth Moore
Did I declare and praise God as El Roi? Not in the manner of praying on my knees, hand raised type of declaration. But the phrase impacted me so deeply, I posted it as a Facebook status. My mind returned to El Roi, the God who sees me. I thought about Hagar, the hand maiden of Sarai who gave Abram a son and then banished with her infant. She met God and declared Him El Roi. So yes, I did declare God El Roi in my life. I should have known to be ready for the test. I forgot that bit of detail in my ever learning walk with God.

The test has not been easy. It impacted more than myself. My entire family has gone through pain this past week. We have been hurt, confused, frustrated, and even angry. We have felt mistreated, smiled while hurting, felt unloved, and tears have flowed down our faces.
Is God El Roi? The God who sees me in the floodplain of my grief? I have pondered this over and over as I worked through my emotions. And you know what? God met me. My pain is still real, my hurt is deep. Unfortunately, my anger has not completely abated. But God has met me. He is the one who gently reminded me that He is El Roi - the God who sees. I have not been alone. He has soothed my wound as the pain ached my heart, He has reminded me the mercy He has extended me when my anger has overflowed, He has provided me human shoulders to cry upon. He has been the God who sees, the God who has seen my pain, the God that has not turned away from my human mess of emotions.
This has not been easy. My faith journey has impacted my family and given opportunity for all of us to learn. Learn that God is El Roi - the God who sees; to learn forgiveness, to learn mercy, to learn that God is God.
Who is God to you today?
No comments:
Post a Comment