Sunday, October 5, 2008

Journey Through Remodeling














At one time during our lives, we considered building a home. I was not overly thrilled at the prospect - all the decisions to made. The big ones are okay - like how many rooms, bathrooms, etc. It's all the little, continuous decisions i.e. what color light switch plates, at what height do you want the light switch, which way should the door swing, etc., etc. It makes me nuts.


So here we are, living in our old home, remodeling it. Essentially, we are rebuilding the house. All these little, tedious decisions have to be made to finish the project. Oh, did I mention that remodeling means I am living in the space during the process. Oh, why didn't I go with the idea of building? (We did seriously consider it but the finances didn't work out well.)

Today, my house has rooms with stud walls, holes, patched holes, unfinished & uneven floors. The kitchen is completely gutted from rafters to joists. We cannot get from one side of the house to the mudroom without going out the front door and walking around or becoming adept at joist walking. It made getting out the door for church this morning challenging. Shoes & jackets were on the "other side", keys, wallets, etc. It is a maze to walk through "this side" as everything is strewn around including tools & construction "stuff".

One neat feature... I can see from upstairs down to the kitchen on into the basement.

I do okay with the process until I cannot find something as nothing is where it was and no one can remember the last place it was set. Another point of frustration is the obstacle course and maze through the rooms and the front door.


Eating has become completely optional. If the cooking utensil is too big or challenging to wash in the bathroom sink - it doesn't get used. That is pretty much everything except a dinner plates & bowls. TV dinners, cold sandwiches, dining out has become the food the times.

Living this way is not easy - but the end result will be very worth the efforts. Just to survive the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment