Last year, I gave my husband a gift of an Bass Guitar. I had no idea, at the time, how much he would appreciate this musical instrument. I knew he was interested in the guitar, he seemed to have a keen interest in bass, but he had never played this instrument prior to this time. He does have piano and violin background from his childhood and a great appreciation of music. A most sought after 'sound guy' in our local church.
He has spent hours teaching himself this instrument. Picking it up quite quickly. Within in just about two months, he began playing with our local church worship team (we attend a small church). Our previous bass guy moved away and there was an opportunity for him to join. A prodigy? No, but passable in our small rural town church, absolutely. We now own amps, yes more than one, music stands, sheet music, fret chording sheets, apps on the iPad, compressor thingys, etc. I am always in awe at my husband's industriousness and dedication upon any task at hand.
One of the more recent purchases is a training video by a reknown bass player, Victor Wooten. I have patiently 'watched' this video with him. Okay watching is a bit of a stretch, I am usually reading, folding laundry, or otherwise distracted.
One day shortly thereafter, I received a phone call from hubby asking what I was doing on a particular evening. It was a Tuesday evening which is a complicated day in our home, one in which our two children are going in opposite directions, as well as it is a day that I watch our niece. What's going on, I asked, thinking I was in for a fun day of juggling children on my own. As it turned out, Victor Wooten was scheduled to appear in our metro area. Of course, he wanted to go, and as it turned out, wanted me to go with him. Awwwww.
I rearranged our schedule, called in favors to transport our teens, and told him to get the tickets. I really had no idea what I was attending, all I understood was I had a date with my man. I've done something similar before in our relationship... while dating he asked me if I would go to a season of college hockey games with him if he bought me the tickets. I said yes, not having really any knowledge of hockey. I just understood it was time with the guy I loved. I have a love of our local college hockey team as a result.
This particular evening was filled with Victor Wooten band and Stanley Clark band. I was out of my element, not really understanding the music entirely, but appreciating tremendous talent. Learning to appreciate jazz, enjoying an evening of fine dining, and a date with my guy. Nine months ago, I never would have imagined that my gift of a guitar would lead to a whole new experience, a new world of music appreciation, a new love of my husband who never ceases to amaze me.
It will be difficult to top this gift.
No comments:
Post a Comment