Can my hands help eliminate hunger throughout the world? That is a large, seemingly, impossible task. And yet, for approximately seven years, my family and I have been participating in a ministry to feed the hungry children of the world.
It began as an effort to find a volunteer opportunity for my grade school aged children. Many organizations and places required a minimum age of 14 or so. I had children in age range of 6 and 8. We had a desire as parents to teach our children to serve in our community. But where, how?
We learned of a local organization, Feed My Starving Children. Their goal is to eliminate hunger. We began volunteering immediately. My children were young but they had the opportunity to touch the lives of many, many children who did not have anything to eat but mud cakes and rocks. Even at this young age, they could assist in packaging a rice manna pack. We were hooked! That was seven years ago.
Throughout the years we have held birthday parties packaging food, gone with our 4-H club, with friends, with our church family, by ourselves, almost any opportunity to that arose to package food! We have donated monetarily to help buy the food to package, we promoted the ministry, we have prayed, we have quite simply fallen in love with this ministry.
Tonight we returned with our church family. We again packaged food for the starving children of Haiti. We prayed over the food. More special this time is the donation my 13 year old daughter (who started volunteering at about the age of 6) gave from the proceeds of the earrings she has made and sold. She has a deep passion for this ministry. I believe it breaks her heart to think of a child without any food.
As a parent, I could not be more proud of my child. She has seen a need, considered how to help, and came up with a way to help. I know I was not this selfless as a teenager. She is my hero. She gives her time and talent to minister to others. Wow.
For more information on this ministry that is growing please visit their web-site www.fmsc.org. Find out about them, consider supporting them with your hands and/or your wallet.
No comments:
Post a Comment