Getting married is easy
Staying married is more difficult
Staying happily married for a lifetime should rank among the fine arts.
--unknown
My uncle and I had teased one another about finding the man for me to marry. He said he'd find me a young, rich fellow - a lawyer, doctor, or engineer while I looked for a good looking guy. I was okay with that idea but I yearned for more. I found myself alone in my humble abode with a boom box and black/white television for company. Raised on Biblical teachings, I turned to prayer in search of a friend, a confident, a companion, a husband. a life long mate.
Somewhere in my young life I had heard of making a list of the qualities desired in a spouse. I am not sure I put ink to paper, but I had a list. These years later, I am not sure I can recall each trait. I am sure good looking was on there somewhere, rich probably made the list too. I do recall praying. I do recall being completely unworthy of the God listening to me, I still am unworthy except for my status through Jesus' redemption. Yet I prayed.
I remember asking for a guy that can fix anything. Why? Because I did not want to worry about repair bills. I think having someone that can repair a toaster or a car is valuable indeed.
I also distinctly asking for a man that loves Jesus and lives by Biblical principals. Why? I think this explains itself, a man that loves Jesus is the best trait in a husband. 'Nuf said.
I desired a guy who would be a good father. A leader of his family. Firm but gentle. Loving and kind.
I desired traits such as kindness, generosity, funny, loving, hard working, good looking. I may have thrown in there a profession of lawyer, doctor, or engineer.
Pretty good list of a girl, a naive girl.
Not too long from this little prayer, a young man took pity upon me. He befriended me, took me on fun outings, included me in his family. I developed a serious crush. Never I had known a guy to show me such respect and kindness. I was disappointed when he told me I was like a sister. I was devastated as he moved across the country, on rather short notice, for an internship to begin his career.
Yet, God had a plan. This young man showed me how a great man behaves, how he treats a girl. At his going away party, a group of young people came into room. In this group was a guy that caught my eye. I distinctly remember him my first memory of the man God had chosen for me.
This 'guy' caught my fancy. I am not sure why, he just did. I kept an eye on him. Where? Church. A large church with several services. But we were in the same Sunday School group, so we attended the same service and sat in the same room in a smaller group. I kept my eye on him. It wasn't long before we were engaged in conversation, as one keeps an eye on another, the two tend to come toe to toe.
Our dating relationship did not last long. I was just a babe, not yet 19 when we began dating. He just a bit older. I was mature beyond my years having earned some of my maturity through a few hardships. God blessed the guy I had my eye on with intelligence and wisdom. I did not fully know it in those early days, but something in me recognized it.
I would discover he had many of the traits I prayed for previously. Most importantly he loved Jesus. Yet in future days we would both falter in our walk with Jesus, our foundations never left us. He is a guy that has the ability to fix anything, he is kind, generous, and much more. God instilled in him traits I did not even think to ask for in my youth such as intelligence, work ethic, stability, wisdom, and faithfulness. Custom made for me.
We married young, as I look back, very young. I felt very mature as a young lady just out of my teens. Oh! I had much growing up to do. Growing up we did - - together. We learned together. We struggled, we succeeded, we failed together. God knew we were for one another. Two very different people. I am convinced, if we had searched for one another on one of those dating sites, we would not have been paired up on compatibility, so very different are we. But here we are still together for over two decardes. We forged our way, we developed a partnership, a marriage.
Not always easy, but definitely worth the effort. I am married to a nearly perfect guy. I failed to mention in my prayer for a guy to fix anything in a timely manner, one that doesn't procrastinate. There are many a day I wished I had added that trait in my prayer. But it is overcome by the many traits I did not dream of in that dream prayer.
Oh, did I mention, he's a engineer by education? I chuckle today, I got my engineer. We are not wealthy but we are comfortable. I am a princess married to a prince. I am spoiled by a loving husband. I am more in love with him today than on our wedding day. I am not just fortunate, I am blessed. God heard a young girl's heart desire and answered with abundant generosity.
Oh, did I mention, he's a engineer by education? I chuckle today, I got my engineer. We are not wealthy but we are comfortable. I am a princess married to a prince. I am spoiled by a loving husband. I am more in love with him today than on our wedding day. I am not just fortunate, I am blessed. God heard a young girl's heart desire and answered with abundant generosity.
All traits were not obvious initially. They developed in time and continue to develop. We have been together in this journey of life for more than half of our lives. It is an adventure I cherish and look forward to every year. I am nearly giddy each year as we approach and celebrate our anniversary. I love to see the number of years together grow higher and higher. I pray that God will give us long lives of years together as I now can't imagine life without him. It is important to celebrate this most important earthly relationship, to cherish it, to nurture it.
A princess married to her prince. Our King is the King of Kings. There is no better place to be than by the side of my prince serving the King.
No comments:
Post a Comment