Friday, September 5, 2008

Blame it on the Commode

Many years ago when DH and I moved into our home, we barely had two pennies to rub together. We were so thrilled to own a house. Those lean years became even more lean when we added a child. Then we decided to become a single-income family. Followed by another child and well, lean does not begin to describe our financial situation. However, we were somehow making it work.

Blame it on the commode. The Sawzall Conflict came about when the bathroom toilet broke. What was suppose to be a simple fix of replacing the toilet turned into a complete bathroom remodel. We found the floor rotted, which had traveled up the nearby wall. Thus, a whole section directly beneath the toilet had to be replaced, all the walls torn out, and then put back together.

We were so thankful that the toilet never broke through to the basement. But it did require DH needed to do some serious demolishing of the rotted floor. He decided the tool needed was a Sawzall. I recommended he rent the tool from our famous local hardware store. [the hardware store is worthy a blog entry or two of it's own]

Well, much to my displeasure, DH went out and bought the tool. How dare he? Didn't he know I needed to buy groceries and formula, and pay the bills? Where did he think the money was coming from anyway? Too say I was livid is probably too polite.

His reasoning for purchasing the Sawzall was that this is a basic tool that he needs time and again. I could not see that big of a picture.

DH still uses that same Sawzall to this day. He has used it over and over. Every project and then some. Every remodeling/home improvement project has required this special tool.

Every time it comes out - DH reminds me of the hated Sawzall Conflict. Today we can laugh over it but trust me when I tell you I did not see any humor in it some 11 years ago. I do feel horrible to the way I treated him back then. I should have trusted his judgement in the money spent.

Blame it on the commode.

As I write, the Sawzall is back at work assisting in the removal of a portion of the lower cupboard & counter. This so that the floor underneath can be torn up - with the rest of the floor. DH also needs to work on plumbing in that corner. I'll get tokeep a bit of counter so we can have a functional sink and maybe continue using the failing cooktop. But things are getting skimpy in the functionality of the kitchen.

Thank goodness for the Sawzall.

No comments:

Post a Comment