Thursday, September 11, 2008

September 11

I distinctly remember taking DD#2 to preschool that morning. DD#1 was at school in Kindergarten. DH stayed home ill. I dropped of a very excited toddler at preschool, this was just the first few days of her schooling career. I returned to my vehicle and turned on the radio. I began to hearing disturbing reports of fire, airplane crashes, the capital in danger. I could not understand much of what was happening, I don't think the individual reporting the news could understand what he was reporting. It was so unbelievable.

Over the course of a few miles, it started to become very clear that a tragedy was taking place. I still didn't understand that it involved multiple planes, thousands of people, or our that our country was under attack. I just knew that whatever was happening was a crisis of huge proportions.

About that time, I was nearing our church. I pulled in the parking lot, needing to enter the sanctuary to pray. My heart was filled with grief and fear. Upon entering, I was not alone, for a dear lady was already there crying out to God. We held hands and prayed for those in the midst of the tragedy and for the protection of the rest of our country.

Only once as I returned home, to find DH watching the television in stunned disbelief did I understand what had happened. We sat there together trying to understand. I was so thankful he was home that day and not in his office in the city. We spent the day, like so many others, clued to the television.

I remember feeling great sadness and fear. Were there more attacks planned? Where? I was extremely uncomfortable as DH returned to his office the next morning. What if other cities were next?

Today, I remember all those that lost their lives in those tragic moments. Life is so fleeting. We know not our time, only God knows the days appointed to us. So many heroes emerged that day. So many hearts broken in an instant. Lives changed in an instant. A country stirred to patriotism and compassion.

Today I will remember. I remember the rescue personnel running to help, the lines of people to donate blood, the pictures of people lost, the cries of sadness, the cries of joy of finding someone alive, the heroes on the plane who said - "no more", ... the flags.

No comments:

Post a Comment