Saturday, September 12, 2009

Macaroni & Cheese with Hot Dogs

The 4th anniversary of the death of my brother-in-law is approaching. I asked DD#1 if she had any memories of her uncle. She responded that he was the first one to make Macaroni and Cheese with Hot Dogs for her. Huh?!? Not what I was expecting... her next memory had to do with juice boxes. Apparently food is a memory for her.

So I asked DD#2. She responded with I remember he died of cancer and being at his house with her cousins trying to jump on a pogo stick in the basement. Oh - well that's interesting.

Both of their responses are very interesting to me. Their uncle died when they were 8 and 10. We really did not have much contact with him during the previous 4-5 years as he and his wife, my sister, were no longer married to each other. But I was curious what they remembered as I knew that he really enjoyed being their uncle.

I miss him and for many different reasons. I know his children miss him dearly. This makes my heart ache for them. I have had the privilege of both of my parents my whole life - - in fact I still have them, how blessed am I?

I miss him for his doctoring. You see, he was a chiropractor, my chiropractor. Since his death I have had to seek out a different doctor.

I miss him - just miss him. He was a brother-in-law, a friend, at times an advisor, sometimes a disciplinarian (I being several years younger than he), a babysitter, an irritant, the father of my nephew and niece...

It was a complicated relationship. When I met him I was 14 years old. He was dating my older sister. Boy, did I think he was cute. I couldn't believe how lucky my sister was to being dating such a 'hot' guy. They married a few years later. I was still a young girl - just a teenager. Later, I moved in with he and my sister. I was still in high school and they were expecting their first child. There were some turbulent moments but we got through and we all 'bonded'. Although ALL of us were happy when I turned 18 and could move out on my own.

He and my sister assisted me in getting my first job, first car, and even navigate the trauma of my first vehicular accident which totaled my car. Then it was onto my next vehicle - BIL got to teach me how to drive a stick-shift. Good thing he was a chiropractor for the whiplash :). Following my accident he was my doctor treating the actual whiplash I sustained in the accident.

A few years later, I married. He and my sister as well as my nephew were in the wedding. We were close, the four of us adults, and DH & I thrived in our role as aunt & uncle. Our relationship changed, I was grown up. We would meet as couples and enjoy fun times as adult siblings.

But as life tends to do, it got complicated. He and my sister's marriage fell apart. It was so sad to watch - I had never been so close to a divorce. Even more difficult was the transformation in relationships. Sadly, my own sibling relationship fell victim and was lost. My relationship with my ex-BIL, I never could call him ex... changed too. It was a rough time for everyone. But in the end, he and I were still friends, and we were still uncle or aunt to each other's children.

There are many times I think of this man. He played a pivotal role in my young adult life. Some advice he gave I followed which changed the path of my life forever. I remember he & my sister saying.... "you need to marry that man, if you don't we're keeping him anyway." I did marry "that man" - sooooo happy I did. Other words of wisdom to a young, flat broke girl considering how to pay for rent, car, insurance, bills and considering how to pay for college. "If you don't know what you're going to college for - save your money... you can attend college anytime - have a direction." I didn't go to college. Instead I married a young guy and helped him get a college degree (only one college loan) - in return I have a fantastic husband and have the privilege of being a full time mother since the day my oldest was born.

So this time of year, I remember a man that made an impact in my life. Was he the only person to make impact in my life? No . Was he perfect? ABSOLUTELY NOT! Did God use him in my life? YES! Do I miss him? Most definitely but I hurt more for his children who do not have their father.


No comments:

Post a Comment