Thursday, September 17, 2009

1989 calendar

It is official - my husband and I have been together for 20 years. Hard to comprehend since I'm only 25 (tee hee). But it's true in 1989 DH and I met, dated, and then became engaged. I have the calendar from that year in my box of treasures. In those days of my life, my wall calendar was like a diary for me.

January reminds me I said good-bye to a friend, which I had a crush on, as he moved away to pursue a career. That young man had been very kind to me and included me in his life and relieved my lonliness. How my heart was crushed when he told me he thought of me like a little sister. How low I felt when he told me he was moving away - lonliness was once again on my horizon.

Little did I know that a young man I saw at the other's going away party, would change my life forever. You see we were all part of a Sunday School class in a large church. I was new to the church, the others had "grown up" together and knew each other. But this guy didn't catch my eye until that going away party. This is my first memory I have of my future hubby.

As the winter progressed we started up conversations after class and before church. The winter months on my calendar shows a young girl working and lonely - trying to figure out life as an adult. I spent a lot of weekends with my grandma.

May shows a change in my activities and my relationships. Future hubby's name is frequently on the dates - esp Sundays. We began going to lunch after church together. Those were are first dates - very casual and very unplanned. I saw Grandma less and a certain guy more.

June reveals more structured or planned dates. Except for the one where we attended his younger brother's high school open house. What is such a big deal about that, you ask? Well... you see, I had never met hubby's family previously nor had he mentioned me to them!!! You can imagine their shock when I arrived at their door for their middle child's open house. I have no idea what I was thinking when I agreed to go - - once I got there, I was petrified!! I got myself through the house and out to the deck where I did not move the rest of the afternoon! My future FIL made sure he learned my name by giving me a pen to sign the guest book, MIL was too busy hosting to engage me in any serious conversation, SIL, who was just a pre-teen at the time, took on the role of spy and kept an eye on me. She was adorable in her pleated, knee length skit, and knee high socks - one having fallen to her ankle :)

That was probably the most traumatic outing of the month. We attended a movie, a professional ball game, 4-th of July picnic, watched fireworks. Then he went away for two weeks. I remember thinking to myself - well that was fun but now it's over. I'm not sure why... as the at the fireworks show, he held my hand for the first time. Oh I was over the moon at that small physical touch. But the next day he left for a mission's trip and I was sure it was over. My sister, however, was trying out a potential new name for me.

I immersed myself in work, volunteered for overtime, and generally kept busy. In the middle of this two week absence I got a post card. I didn't even know he had my address! Sure he had been to my apartment but still....he had my full address including zip code! His card told me what day he'd be home and that I should call him. Call him I did!!! We met up two days after his return.

Now we are at the end of July beginning of August. I am housesitting for friends who have a large active dog. While housesitting my back goes out (from an injury the year before). I couldn't move! This dog needed to be walked, played with, etc. I didn't know what to do...I hestiantly called "him." Explained my situation... this amazing guy came every day following school and work to help me. At the end of my stay, he cleaned the house - spotless, and brought me home, helping me get groceries. It is from that time forward that there are very few days we were not together.

This guy is amazing! He is caring, tender, attentive, selfless... my sister and her husband said to me - - "You need to keep this guy - if you don't we will keep him for ourselves!"

August brought a flurry of weddings, between the two of us, we had 4 weddings to attend in 3 weeks. Whew! It was also my birthday... this is the first time he informed me he loved me. I'll never forget it. He left a card on my pillow for me to find after he left. Oh why did he leave? I just wanted to hug him and return his love. Now I had to wait for him to get home to tell him on the phone!! (long before cellphones were commonplace) The hug had to wait for the next evening after work.

September arrived... our families barely knew each of us, we were so focused on our relationship to the exclusion of everyone else - good thing our intense dating period was short!! One Sunday afternoon, this guy that I was completely head over heels in love with looked at me and said "Do you want to get married?" No pomp and circumstance - just a question. Well, like a poised young girl I responded "Uh... do you?" And like that we decided to get married. LOL

It has been 20 years since that day, nearly 19 years of marriage: I am so glad I said "yes." It has been quite a journey but one that I cherish and do not regret. I look forward to spending the rest of my life with this amazing man. I completely believe that God created this man for me and I for him. I can't imagine my life any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment