A sign of aging is the discussions of failing body parts. Now I consider myself rather young. I haven't yet hit middle age because I plan on living for 100 years or more. I want to be there to watch my own children and giggle as they go through these stages. After all that is exactly what they are doing to me. I desire the pleasure of giving them the "I told you it would happen to you" look many, many times.
But as I said, I consider myself rather young. My warranty has expired but the parts are still working relatively fine - just not quite as well as before, more like rusty. The first body parts to really betray me are my eyes. I had fine eye sight. 20-20 or better with an astigmatism that I was told would one day cause me a problem. Well, reading was becoming quite tiresome and I determined it was time to visit the eye doctor when I realized I had quit reading more than a paragraph at a time.
I was a good patient... undergoing all the fun exams, looking at different letters, answering which picture was clearer. I figured I had done quite well. I was rather pleased with myself. I determined that my lack of reading must be to fatigue. Yep that is it - fatigue. I maintained my delusion right up to the moment the doctor informed me that yes, indeed the astigmatism, was causing me issues. Not only that but my far sight was failing me as well! WHAT?!?! Did I want a prescription for bi-focals, two sets of glasses, contacts? WHAT?!? You mean not only do I need reading glasses BUT I would find glasses beneficial for seeing far away things too. Mind you- it is a mild, nothing "requiring" glasses but it would likely help reduce headaches and eye fatigue, that kind of thing.
I am wondering what I ever did to my eyes for them to betray me as such. I always wear sun glasses, I try to avoid looking into bright lights or over using them. In fact I prefer to have my eyes closed, sleeping.
Well, I opted for the bi-focal. I went out the door to purchase my glasses. I figure, if you need to wear glasses you may as well make a statement, an accessory, a feature enhancer. I chose these delightful frames that looked great on me.
The fateful day came when the glasses were ready to be picked up. I put them on...they looked fabulous on me. I could even see - better yet, I could read! I thanked the young gal and made my way out the door. That is when the trouble began - I couldn't see - anything! It was blurry, there were shooting lights, my eyes teared up, I was nauseous, ... the glasses came off! Try again at home. How unfair from no glasses to bi-focal in one giant leap!
I was told by my glasses wearing hubby - you'll get use to them, give them time. What did he know - he didn't have bi-focals yet. My glasses wearing friends gave me words of encouragement. Some told me my frames were too skinny - needed more glass width. And the discussions went on.... most of the time I didn't wear them. After two months I gave up and took them back to be broken into two glasses - one for reading and one for "seeing".
This system worked out well for a while but I was frustrated when going to church, meetings, grocery store, anywhere I went that I needed to see and read at the same time. I started to wear my reading glasses on a rope around my neck. Not yet middle-aged me - glasses on a rope! Crazy! I disliked it very much....
Six months later.... DH goes to the eye doctor *giggle* - he's older than I by a whole two years - *giggle* He gets the same deal - time for bi-focals. Although he has the advantage of being a seasoned eye glass wearer. We go to pick up his new spectacles together. While there I couldn't resist looking at the frames and wondering if I was ready to "try" again. DH was rather helpful in the en devour. He offered up different frames to try... his choice - purple with sparkle flowers on the sides. Ooooooo these are lovely and fun. Quite the accessory. I was willing to try with these fun frames.
I adore my new frames! And what's more I love the lenses within them :) I can see and read. Very little adjustment to these. Ahhh success. But.... still my eyes have betrayed me - how dare they?!? Well, if you gotta have spectacles - have fun ones is my motto.
No comments:
Post a Comment