Friday, April 1, 2011

My children's education

I am not the person that follows the crowd. Not sure that I have ever been that person. I remember as a teen desiring to have the "right" clothes, friends, talents. But I never did have those things due to budgets and personality. Maybe this is why today, I am still doing things in my own style.

I did not figure that my children's education would fall into this category. As I grew up everyone I knew went to the local public school. There were a few that attended the private school, but I met those students when they entered our highschool upon graduating 8th grade and the private school. Many of my peers continued their education in college. I did not follow that path. I did get a few credits but I began working full time to support myself and live on my own. I didn't know what I wanted to be when I grew up (still don't) and decided to wait upon college until I figured that out. I saved myself a large amount of debt.

I got married and had children. As where to send my precious little people to school as they approached kindergarten age came into question. I visited the local elementary school. The same elementary that I attended beginning in the 4th grade. I met the staff, teachers, and observed classroom learning. I visited the private school. I did some preliminary investigation into homeschooling. I prayed, I stewed, I worried, I discussed, and prayed some more. I wasn't very comfortable with the idea of sending my nearly 6 year old away for an entire day everyday. I didn't like the smell of the school (it hadn't changed from my childhood). Yet, DH and I came to the conclusion that the public school was the place my precious, oldest child should attend.

Why not the private school or homeschool? The private school is pricey. Our funds were limited and we decided the education wasn't significantly better than the elementary school which our taxes were already providing for our community. Homeschool was a rather new concept for both of us. Although my dear friend, matron of honor in our wedding, had been homeschooled, we just did not know enough nor understand the idea. Add to that our beloved, oldest child is rather ironed will and there was concern about the battles that would ensure over ABCs and 123s.

Off she went on the big, yellow bus. I cried, I sighed, I anxiously awaited her arrival home. The day was long. 8:30 - 4:45 including transportation time. She came home tired, a little ornery, and not learning much new. My oldest began reading at 4 years old. Kindergarten wasn't very interesting or challenging. I began picking her up from school to shorten her day. School ended at 3:30 (ish). Living 4.5 miles from the school, I failed to understand the 1+ hour bus ride. Just a few our beginning frustrations with "the system."

I won't go into all the details. Suffice it to say, we were dissatisfied and wanted better for our children. By the end of 1st grade, we made a decision to take on the responsibility to educate our children at home. Our youngest child never did attend the local elementary school.

During the next 8 years I have had the privilege of watching my children grow, learn, and discover. Step by step, I was there as they learned reading, writing, arithmetic and more. Such joy and yes, frustrations. We had great fun with field trips, less fun learning the fine art of writing. Math came easy for one and not quite easy for another. The sibling arguments were and are fatiguing. The sibling creative efforts were and are inspiring.

In another blog I will discuss our decision to re-enter the public school in highschool. Why and how we got there. But for now...

Is homeschooling for everyone? Is it the best option for everyone? Are all public schools ineffective or 'bad'? Some in of my homeschool peers would say yes to all of those questions. I have not felt that way.

For everyone? Homeschooling is challenging and takes dedication along with self-sacrifice. Not everyone is fortunate to be able to be stay home full-time to raise and educate their children. Not everyone has the desire or the dedication it takes to be a parent and teacher full time.

Best option? I would like to say yes. Typically, no one cares more for a child than the parent. To see the child succeed, learn, grow. But again, if you don't have the time and dedication to put into it, likely it is not the best option. 

All public schools 'bad'? No. I have met some fantastic teachers, heard of some amazing schoolings. Met some fabulous graduates of the public school system. In my neighborhood - that is not the case in my opinion. But elsewhere, yes, there are good tax-funded schools.

I do not care for the attitude of some of my peers that homeschooling is the best option and frankly the only option. The opinion that the instruction is full of fallacies, that the children are trained to be subversive to parents. I ask WHO is raising your children? You or the school. Stay involved with your children no matter their place of education. You, the parent, are the biggest influence - you'd be amazed.

How you ensure your children are educated is a personal and very private choice. There is not a proper way, each person and family is different. Once again, I am doing things in my own style. Public school followed with homeschool and back to public school via the charter school system.

No comments:

Post a Comment