471 miles. That is all that stood between me and my friend, S. Initially, I did not realize that only 471 miles would be separating us on a particular weekend in May. Usually we have are separated by 4,400 miles. 4,400 miles that cannot be driven as an ocean stands in the way, airplanes or ships are required to connect us. But 471 miles on the same continent in the same country, this was something I could conquer with my SUV.
Who is S? Why would I travel 4,400 miles or 471 miles to see her? S is a friend, a confidant, a sister. She and I, in a very short period, formed bonds of friendship that last a lifetime. A friend who has seen the good, the bad, the ugly, the pretty. Together we have experienced infants, pregnancy, toddlers, low incomes, tears, laughter, sleepless nights, tragedies, joys, dreams, fears, disappointments, and celebrations. Sounds like a lifetime, doesn't it? Yet most of our friendship has been spent separated by 4,400 miles.
We met when my oldest daughter was a mere three weeks old. I walked through the doors of our community church for a ladies Bible study. A new mom, lonely, and desperate for friends. Until my daughter had been born I worked full-time, commuting 35 miles one way. I had not developed friends in my community. Suddenly I was home full time and very lonely. I bravely entered the doors of the church.
I was not new to church or Bible studies. I grew up in a Christian home. But as a young adult, church going was not a priority, we were too busy working and 'starting our lives'. We had not found a local church home prior to our daughter's birth. Accustomed to leaving the home everyday to go to work, I was lonely and tired of the four walls. I screwed up my courage and went to the mid-week morning, ladies Bible study with my tiny baby.
Babies attract attention! I was greeted, my baby ooohed and aaaahed. And in the small gathering was a young lady with a very round belly. This turned out to be S. She was expecting her first child in two months. She was drawn to my tiny infant and I to another person in my peer group. Our friendship was off and running.
We experienced all the wonders of being mothers of infants together. We were each other's lifeline during those days. Our girls were 'instant' friends. We attended classes together, took walks, to garage sales, and enjoyed watching our children grow and develop. It wasn't long before we were dreaming of more children and devised a plan to add on to each of our families at the same time. Nothing to bond women together than pregnancy! Our plan succeeded... I became pregnant with our second daughter and she became pregnant with twins! Shortly we had five children under the age of two between us. The fun was just beginning.
We had many adventures together with those babies and other babies as she did daycare for two other families. She a youth pastor's wife as well in our church, we tackled a few ministry tasks together as well. Big, round, pregnant with toddlers in tow we ran Vacation Bible School - without air conditioning in August! Ahh the memories.
S and her husband were missionary candidates, their time in my local church was coming to an end. Shortly they were called to an over seas assignment. We had become friends and sisters in a brief three years. But our friendship did not cease. I made room in our budget for over seas phone calls, mailing packages and visits to their new home - once with a with preschooler, another with two elementary aged children along. I have prayed for them, supported them, and loved them from afar. I have been blessed by her friendship, my world expanded beyond my small town, state, and country borders.
So when 471 miles separated us... I made my way to give her a hug in person. Just another adventure in our friendship. Before our friendship I had not run a VBS program, been out of the country, or driven by myself as the only driver 471 miles. There is always a first time for everything. Sharing a conversation and hug is definitely worth all the scariness of new adventures and 471 miles!

OK...What can I say? Wow! Thank you!!! What awesome memories! So fun to think that we can still build them : ) The fun continues!!! Love you!!!
ReplyDelete