Today I am preparing to leave on a road trip. I think I put too much pressure on myself in my preparations. I like to leave a clean, mostly organized house. Why? When returning there is usually a chaos of stuff coming into the house, which if put on top of a mess would make me nutty! If we depart with organization and cleanliness it allows me to relax and rest upon my return. Make sense?
This process of preparation usually drives my family nutty, remember I live in Forest of Crazy. I tend to get wound up and go non-stop, jumping from one thing to the next. I understand why the family gets frustrated, I don't really like it myself. I have tried to tame this beast and have made some progress, I think. Maybe should I should ask the family?
I have spent the last few days trying to get the lawn mowed. It is obnoxiously long and must be cut or it will be out of control. Problem is that it continues to rain so getting it done has been a challenge. Last night, I was attempting to mow the last two sections when the squealing began, ending my mowing. Hubby declared it a bearing issue... a new part has been purchased. Alas, hubby may need to do finish the mowing.
This is the longest road trip I am undertaking without my hubby. I will be traveling with my youngest daughter, DD#2, who is a lovely 13 years old. I am excited to get away with her, spend one-on-one time, find our way on an adventure. In essence mother-daughter bonding. Leaving behind DD#1 and hubby for some of their own bonding time.
On the first leg of our journey we are joined by hubby's sister, E, and her adorable 7.5 month old baby L. They are the ones that began this whole adventure. A casual comment from E telling me was going to visit her aunt with L, a five hour journey. Thinking she was brave to travel that distance alone with a baby, I asked if she wanted company. Now we are a day away from departing.
This is the only part of the journey with E and L. They will be joined by brother-in-law, G, the following evening where they will continue on with their own weekend adventure. As this trip developed, I realized that my very good friend would be in the states the same weekend. This is significant as she is a missionary serving over seas. In visiting Auntie, I realized I would be within four hours of her location!! Whoo Hoo!
The plan is to spend one night with Auntie, depart the following morning to meet up with S. Yet it gets better. S is attending our church domination bi-annual conference. I did not think this was something for me, as I figured it was for the missionaries, pastors, and church leaders. But I discovered I was wrong - I can attend as well. Hear the incredible speakers - Ravi Zacharias and John Stumbo, Gracia Burnham, & more. My pastor's wife was able to obtain tickets for us to attend the popular ladies luncheon. How cool is this deal? Not only do I get to connect with S, I get to attend an incredible conference. AND I get to share it with DD#2.
I have been tickled at DD#2's excitement. I wasn't certain that she would be excited about a church event geared mostly for adults. She has proven me wrong, counting down the days to our departure. She is a great companion. I am anticipating some fun memories. She already knows her mom is the queen of turn arounds, so we should travel together just fine.
Feeling very blessed to be able to go on this adventure. An unexpected adventure to be sure, but I think these are the best kind, don't you? So now the house is mostly clean, the lawn mostly mowed, the clothes are packed, and the departure is near. Excited to spend time with DD#2, E, L, Auntie, & S. Most importantly looking forward to what the Lord has planned for us.
No comments:
Post a Comment