My last post I described how God protected us during a severe storm in 1998. This got me to thinking about other times God has been clearly evident in my life. I wish I have been more diligent in writing things down in the past, I am guilty of thinking I will remember and not forget. But alas, I am human, and thus have a short memory. Which is why history is doomed to repeat itself over and over again. In the Bible God's people were instructed over and over again, to build a moment, pass it down to the children, remember .... remember God's faithfulness.
To memory came another incident where I prayed and God answered. Had it not been for my daughter in the car, I may have missed His answer and then failed to thank Him and praise Him for caring for us. All too often, I rely on myself or think of it as coincidence when really it is God taking a very tangible and real role in my life.
This particular day I was about 50 miles away from home with my two daughters. I had taken them to a conference for young girls on being a Bright Light for the Lord. A February day in the upper mid-west can range from sunshine - rain - freezing rain - snow - blizzard. The conference was held in the southern metro area and I live past the northern edge of the metro area.
The day started out with rain and developed into freezing rain, at least where I was at in the southern metro area. I went out at lunch and cleared the windows of the ice developing which turned out to be very wise. Many others at the end of the day were chipping away at inch or more thick layer of ice on their windows. My ice layer at the end of the day was considerably thinner due to my previous clearing. We set out for the drive home which would typically take about an hour.
It was late afternoon when we left. There was still daylight and although the driving was slow I could see the road and other vehicles in the remaining daylight. As we drove north the freezing rain turned into snow. The interstate was crawling along at about 25 mph. Our drive extended into the second hour as we carefully made our way home.
Twilight fell as I turned off the main, well traveled interstates and freeways onto the county roads that lead to my home. The traveling became more slow and careful. Soon it was dark and the snow was falling heavily and we had passed the two hour mark on our drive. In a rural area, on a country road in the dark, I could no longer distinguish the ditch from the road. Gripping the wheel and white knuckled, I prayed aloud something to the effect of "Lord, I can't see the road, please take the wheel and drive us safely home, show the path, in Jesus Name." I returned to giving my full concentration to driving.
Shortly, a car appeared on the road ahead of us. I could see its taillights and the tire path on the road ahead of me. I did not recognize what was occurring ahead of me or how much easier the driving (relatively speaking) had become with the existence of this vehicle. My daughter from the back seat who was leaning forward trying to assist in identifying the road boundaries, exclaimed "Mom, that car is showing us the way, just as you prayed!" She was so right and I nearly missed it!!
We continued the final miles to our home following this car. I was shocked when it turned down my street, a small gravel road. It continued on down the road right past our driveway, literally showing me the way home. I turned into the driveway full of about a foot or more of snow, where I promptly got stuck. I sat back and with my girls thanked the Lord for providing a guide for our drive home and for getting us home safely.
I still am amazed each time I reflect on this event. The car was not in front of me previously, we were alone on the road - - a lonely country road. I did not see a car pull out from a driveway or side road. And I did not recognize a neighbor as it continued on down my street. I wonder, did I see an angel? I do not have the answers. But I am convinced that it was placed there for me in answer to my prayer. This was not a coincidence nor was it my own ability that got us home safely that night.
No comments:
Post a Comment