Gardening is the topic of choice today. I am capable of gardening but it is not my passion. I do not have a 'green thumb'. I am never sure if it is a plant or weed, especially when young so I tend to leave most everything. By the time it is identifiable it is overwhelmingly weedy. I don't really enjoy being in the sun and most gardening cannot be done in the shade. Add to that mix, that I am not a detailed oriented person. This does not make for a great gardener.
However, this past weekend, it was not raining and we were home for an afternoon. We tackled some overdue yard work items. Winter was long and harsh, Spring was equally long and cold. My hubby got his tractor with the assistance of our oldest daughter, running the disc and plow through the small field that is used as a garden plot by my father-in-law. My youngest daughter planted a few pots of flowers. I went to work on the bushes in the front yard.
These bushes were planted about four years ago. I bought these little guys on clearance during a hot, dry July. My idea was to plant them to provide some protection from the road. There are Burning Bushes, Maple Amurs, and Dogwoods. We have a bit of property and the front of the yard is a long ways from the spigot. I carried water to the bushes by the bucketful to make sure they did not die during the drought we were experiencing.
Four years later, these bushes are still struggling. Not much bigger than when I planted them, I have been disappointed in their progress I am also not really thrilled with mowing around them, especially since they are not thriving as I had hoped. The dogwoods really are struggling - mostly sticks with few leaves. There were only two of these and I finally mowed down one of them last year.
But off I went to clear out the grass and weeds growing up and through the plants, taking their water and chocking them. I pulled out the grass and weeds. I also put in fertilizer spikes, something I probably should have been doing each year, One or two of the bushes are beginning to show promise. But the remaining dogwood is not doing well at all. When I pulled away all the grass I found a few short sticks of growth with a handful (about 4) of small leaves. Definitely not thriving and it looks like the deer have found it tasty as well. I am considering mowing down this non-productive plant. I realize the soil is not the best in this part of my yard but I was hoping these hardy plants would make it.
The same time I planted those bushes, I also planted a row of pine trees. These guys were small, in one gallon pots. I have carefully tended to them through several years of drought and protected them from the plow of the tractor (they are on the edge of the field). I am delighted to report that they are growing quite well. The lawn tractor is no longer a threat and they are more easily seen from larger farm equipment. I do not mind mowing around them just to see the progress they are making; the growth each year is pleasing. They are planted in clay, loamy soil and loving it!
This made me think about the Heavenly Gardner. How He plants me, nurtures me, pulls at the weeds, carefully mows around me, and I disappoint Him in my growth. Year after year He continues to tend to me, with much more skill and patience than I have for my bushes. I know I disappoint my Heavenly Gardner and wonder if He is getting tired of continuing carefully tending to me, much like I am with the bushes. I wonder if He wishes I was more like those pine trees - putting down a deep tap root, pulling from water deep down, and shooting upward and outward. I know that is what I desire to be - a thriving, growing tree rather than a struggling, little bush in danger of being mowed over and forgotten forever. Gives me much for thought and thankfulness that the Heavenly Gardner has much more patience than I do for that struggling Dogwood. Hmmmm... wonder if I should transplant that bush?
No comments:
Post a Comment