I find myself alone in the family room this evening. Hubby has gone to bed with a nasty headache - hope he is not getting a migraine. My lovely daughters have gone to their bedrooms, never really sure of when they go to bed or sleep. So here I am on my own.
I have the television on which is currently showing the nightly news. The top story is the storms that swept across the south. My eyes see the ominous clouds, the swirling clouds, debris flying. My eyes see the destruction, the houses turned to match sticks. My ears hear the reports of devastation and loss of life, the lives ruined, entire communities gone. My mind has much more trouble comprehending.
Much like the lack of comprehension I felt as I watched the tsunami and destruction a month ago. What I see on the screen does not make sense to my mind. Maybe it is the desensitization of watching so much media throughout my life, knowing that much of what I watch is fictional and amazing special effects. Maybe that is why my mind says, "That can't be real."
Yet I am completely aware this is not fictional television. This is real - - this has actually happened. People's lives have been lost and ruined. Entire communities are suffering. Whole sections of the country are in shambles to a very powerful storm system that spawned many, many tornadoes for nearly 4 hours over a large area covering multiple states.
For those of you in that area, please know I have prayed for you today. I am keenly aware of powerful storms living in the upper mid-west. I have hid in the basement more than once. I have witnessed huge trees toppled and homes damaged. I have had nearby neighborhoods destroyed. I can comprehend some but not all of what you have gone through these past couple of days.
Praying that you will find rays of hope in the destruction. Praying that there is is a silver lining. Praying for those coming to serve you and to help you recover. Praying....
No comments:
Post a Comment