Mountains!! Need I say more? We drove all day from Lincoln NE to Colorado Springs. The cross winds were sooooo high that even the semis were struggling to stay on the road. High wind advisories all day. It did get old driving in it.
Can you believe it? Hubby let me drive for two hours this morning :) I got the easy drive if you ask me. I dealt with wind gusts but he dealt with constant wind the rest of the day. This is our first trip with the girls that they are old enough to sit in the front seat. So I had the treat of crawling in back for a nap and to be beat soundly at a game of Farkle by DD#2.
Early afternoon we spotted our first glimpse of the mountains. Oh how magnificent! And such a treat after the long, flat, mono-tone colored terrain of Nebraska. Tumble weed blowing, cows, feed lots, corn stalks.... and then hills which turned into mountains. It was worth the drive to get here :) Although my rear end was a bit numb that night.
The girls were delighted to stop in at Focus on the Family. We got there just prior to closing, but they got to see "Whit's End" of Odessey.
We had dinner at the Mason Jar in Manitou Springs and then walked "The Garden of the Gods" - many rock formations with vistas of Pikes Peak which is snow covered. These stunning rock formations were mostly red - jutting out of the ground in all shapes.
The sky is so brilliantly blue here - incredible. The weather is tolerable - - high 50s, low 60s. The wind is brisk, however.
We spent the night at the base of Pikes Peak.
Quote of the day - - on the far west side of Nebraska; DD#1 exclaimed "I think I see a lenticular cloud formation!" Apparently you only see these near mountains. We had yet to spot the mountains. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment