Today is a milestone day. DD#1 registered for highschool.
It was just a year or two ago, that a toddler was at my feet. Somehow, time has slipped and she is now a young lady. A young lady entering highschool.
It is huge step. Understand, we have been a homeschooling family for the past 7 years. Other than Kindergarten and 1st grade we have schooled at home. Now we are going to enter the public school arena again. DD#1 is apprehensive, I can see it in her face. Guess what? So am I. No one told me how tied up emotionally I would be upon becoming a mother. How silly I was to think I was done with school upon my high school graduation.
This registration was also a pass/fail test for me. Have we prepared our child academically? Is she ready? Not only academically, but emotionally too. The registration itself was rather easy - not too many choices for freshman. Whew... that step complete.
Now we prepare for fall. The first day, first week, first quarter, first semester. Next year, every morning, my precious DD will leave our home and go to school. I think I'll miss her. And yet I am relieved that I am not solely responsible for the highschool transcript. I'm sure that I would have overcome... but it is a relief.
I think this will be beneficial for DD#1. It will provide opportunities to expand beyond her parents. I am confident in her discernment skills and maturity. She is intelligent and proven herself so I am not concerned about the studies being too challenging. More concerned they may not be challenging enough!
I am nervous for her - how could I not be? My first day of highschool was nerve wrecking enough and I attended the same school system for most of my life. This is her return to 'formal' education since a small child. Thankfully, this is a small highschool. DD knows a few other students - all from really neat families.
Now, exactly how did I get old enough to have a highschooler? I still feel like I am growing up and learning of myself. I guess time marches on relentlessly.
No comments:
Post a Comment