Saturday, April 24, 2010
Grand Adventure: In Search of Mountains
Destination: Grand Canyon and points in-between
We packed our bags, loaded the suburban, got ready for bed and a good night's sleep. We were planning to get up early and hit the road. We were hoping to get across the plain states the first day. A lofty goal and a long day's drive.
That was the plan... first our departure was delayed by DD#2. She was walking a bit crooked and stiff. Our crooked DD needed to be straightened out. So we delayed our departure until after the chiropractor opened. Bad news - we got a late start; good news - I was able to get a good cup of coffee from my favorite coffee shop.
DD#2 all straightened out and feeling better, we got our coffee, and made tracks out of town. We cruised right along through the cities, through a rain storm, looking forward to stopping for lunch. Making fairly good time.
Side note here: I am the most normal, crazy person, you'll ever meet. My goal: to entertain our driver and tour guide, hubby. I challenged him to a game of war - which I had to play his hand too. He won. Then I pulled out a sock puppet - that made him grin. (he knows I'm a bit nutsy) The girls joined in the fun. DD#2 had a stripped, dog sock puppet. Hubby added his own - - the naked sock puppet. LOL LOL
As I was saying, we drove through some rain, cruising on the interstate. We crossed a bridge, hit a bump, and heard: 'thunk, thunk, thunk, clang, thunk' Not good. Just past this bump was a rest stop. Hubby pulled in to check things out.
I, being, a girl didn't have a clue. I did take the vehicle in to the shop prior to leaving for a good check up. It got new tires, brakes, serpentine belt, ac belt, and oil change. I was assured we were good to go. But the noises eminating from the vehicle were not good.
First point of interest was the trail of liquid leading to our parking spot. "Uh oh," I thought. Well, hubby wasn't too concerned, he determined it was just rain build up in the 'pan'. Okay.... girl here, I'll believe him. Although something was definitely wrong with the rear brakes.
Time to call for a tow truck. Thankfully we were near a decent sized town. Ames, Iowa. DD#2 exclaims "I've never ridden in a tow truck before, this should be fun!" "Okay, if you say so honey."
Our hero came in an extended cab tow truck. A young man, tall, lean, & lanky. He had short cropped hair with a section a bit longer in hopes of a mow hawk. Very kind and courteous. He loaded up our truck and all of us and took us to town. He made a recommendation for lunch. He even got a chuckle when again, DD#2 exclaimed a funny. Seeing a semi truck hauling animals - - "Oh, look! Horses!" "No sweetie, those would be pigs, we are in Iowa now."
Our lunch was fabulous. If you find yourself in Ames I have a great recommendation for a restaurant. We still had to time to fill. It turned out to be something with the emergency brake (remember I'm a girl). It would take a couple of hours to repair. Across the street we spotted a Salvation Army Family Store. We headed in there to shop for a bit. We had fun finding the most outrageous outfits we could find. Just a few blocks away were Target and Wal-Mart, another good time filler and we were getting exercise! Then to Panera for coffee and treat.
Finally the call came... the truck was repaired and ready to go. We were off again!
I believe our delays were for a reason... I have a Blessed Controller, my heavenly father watching over me and every step of my life. I also caution you to be careful what you pray for... I asked God to reveal himself to us on our trip.
We made it to the east side of Nebraska and called it a night. Not as far as we had anticipated but we were on our way.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment