The past few days, we have had an opportunity to be together, exclusively, as a family. We have taken a mini-vacation. Our children are teenagers, our time as parents with them is fleeting. I am all too aware they will be quickly leave our home, leaving us an empty nest. As a result, my husband and I, have been making deliberate occasions to be together and 'make memories'. This has become even more important for me these past few weeks, as my friend M lays in hospice losing her battle with Crueztfeld-Jakob disease. I have been, unfortunately, made completely aware, the uncertainty of life.
Initially we thought we would return to the Rocky Mountains. We traveled through them last spring and all of us, to the last person, fell in love with the Rockies! But this spring season has been filled with late spring snows. Coupled with the face that we only had just under a week for our vacation, we decided it was too far a drive and too risky of weather to make the trip in April.
Our youngest daughter suggested Wisconsin Dells. I wasn't overly keen on the idea initially. We had been to the Dells when the children were quite young. We discovered that our children were not the 'fish' that my husband and I had been as children. I had also done previous investigation into the water-park hotels in years past. I had sticker shock to the prices.
But upon her suggestion, we once again checked it out. I still had sticker shock, but we are in a different place in our life with a little more disposable income than years ago. Our children are older and likely would enjoy the slides water activities. In the next moment, we had booked ourselves a mini-vacation at one of the largest water park resorts in the Dells.
We arrived an bit prior to official check-in time but were allowed to check-in. We booked a standard room - two queen beds. We got our luggage and made our way to the door. Upon entering, we were in for a treat. Instead of the standard room, we stood in a two room suite, complete with a king bed, two queen beds, two bathrooms, two TVs, a sofa, a fireplace, and a deck. Wow! What a surprise. I was sure a mistake had been made, but I was not about to complain, as long as my bill didn't change!! Each child had a bed, and hubby and I had the comfort of a large king bed, as well as a bit of privacy.
We have spent three days, blasting through water tubes, floating down the lazy river, riding the waves in the wave pool, playing water basketball, and recovering our aging bodies in the hot tub. But that is not all! As well as the water-park, there is an indoor amusement park complete with a Ferris Wheel, go-carts, laser tag, mini-golf, climbing wall, ropes course, and arcade. This was included in our package deal! Bowling is an extra charge.
I have discovered, I am NOT as young as I use to be, nor am I in shape anymore. Hubby and I are beat physically. But it is worth it. We have played with our children, laughed together, and 'made some memories.'
Our final day here in the Dells, it is snowing... confirmation we should not be in the mountains. The fireplace is our spot together this final evening. The snow is falling and accumulating. Oh, this is the upper mid-west.
The resort is complete with restaurants, spa, salon, & entertainment. Maybe we should just stay until winter departs for good.
No comments:
Post a Comment