This morning, I was sitting on the sofa recovering from our mini-vacation. Basically being a couch potato. Still in my pajamas, not moving fast, watching TV, drinking coffee, hanging out on Facebook, and re-stylizing my blog. How do you like the new look, by the way?
My husband had asked me yesterday if we had anything going on today, which I responded with a negative, except for the church drama practice in the evening. So, I was enjoying doing nothing. It is Spring Break after all.
On a random whim, I checked my calendar. It's online, easily accessible from any electronic device in my possession. I also print it out regularly and post to be viewed by all family members. My problem is not in putting things on the calendar as much as looking at the calendar. I am constantly double booking myself or forgetting things because I think I have it all in my head. I really do need to understand that my memory is not as young and agile as it once was in years past. Note to self, you are middle aged now, nothing is as it once was.
Anyway, I looked at our calendar only to gasp! We are signed up to volunteer, as a family, this afternoon at a local food distribution. Oops! How did we all forget? Especially since DD#1 regularly participates in this with school for community service hours. UGH! I was not feeling very energized by the thought. I am pooped! But we had signed up realizing that with the Easter holiday and Spring Break extra hands are needed.
We got up off our rear ends and made ready to go. This being the first time for all us except for DD#1, we were not certain what to expect. In fact, there was uncertainty as to what time we were to arrive. We arrived a couple of hours prior to the start of the distribution. People were already lining up outside the doors, waiting in the cold wind for the food.
We were put to work opening boxes and redistributing some of the items. The quantity and selection of the food was impressive. Frozen items, produce, meat, canned good, even some children's birthday bags. All the volunteers were gathered shortly before door opening. We were given brief instructions and we prayed.
For over 90 minutes we handed out food to hundreds of people. Each time I looked up from my station of handing out canned goods, I saw a constant stream of people, it did not seem to end. Young, old, tired, every ethnicity, every walk of life and in my community. A few times I looked into the face of someone that could be me. On the street, anywhere else, I would never guess they were any more needy than I. A few that I know personally came through: some helping others, some for themselves.
I did my best to offer a smile and a kind word to each one that came through, treating each with the dignity they deserve. Some were trying to hide being uncomfortable going through the line, others were too tired and weary to care what anyone thought of them. Some did not speak English well, as I was handing out an item that is a definite like or dislike, I did my best to communicate with them to give them option of taking it or not.
Once I found my rhythm in handing out the items, I had a chance to purposefully and specifically pray. I prayed to see each of them with the eyes of Jesus. That my words and actions would convey the love of Jesus. I prayed each would find hope and a bit of cheer. That there would be something... a word or item in the cart that would give them joy on this Easter holiday. I pray that each would know Jesus' love and joy.
There are hurting people everywhere, from every walk of life. Poor, rich, young, old, healthy, sick, every race. Our current economy is finding more in the area of need. Some who never thought they would be in such a position. Frankly, we are just one job away from being in a very similar predicament. I am thankful everyday for the my husband's job and all that it provides for our family. It is not something to take for granted.
For many years, my family has packaged food with an organization called Feed My Starving Children. (www.fmsc.org) We have helped to feed starving children around the world. This gives us the opportunity to help those in our community, in our backyard, those that are not that very different from our own family.
Will I return? Yes. It is hard work, my body aches from shifting and moving canned goods. But that is nothing, I will recover soon. It is a minuscule sacrifice to know that a simple act can bring hope.
No comments:
Post a Comment