I am, admittedly, addicted to Facebook. I am connect to it all the time, I feel compelled to check it frequently, keep up with my friends and activities. I find myself 'hanging out' there when bored. I have been distracted by it and failed to get things done. I have thought this addiction not very healthy and have seriously considered dropping my account. No one should be this 'attached' to an impersonal environment on the internet.
Facebook has been accused of being impersonal and false. Yes, individuals pretend to be something they are not on-line. Real-life relationships are not the same as on-line relationships. For good and bad they are just not the same. Words on a screen does not show voice inflection or body language. Some things are taken as offence when meant in jest. Hurt feelings run amok. Some fall in like or love with a personality only to meet in real-life the complete opposite. The internet is a mask that covers all body language and does not reveal truth or lies.
This past few weeks, I have seen the positive side of social media. As a friend has fallen ill with a swift moving, fatal disease, the social media has allowed her friends to connect all around the world. The internet has provided a way to share information on her condition, to share our concern with her and her family, to pay tribute to her.
I am watching as the concentric circles of her friends grow, take up the cry on heaven's doors on behalf of my friend and family. I have gained some friends through this on-line connection. We have shared each other's pain and encouraged one another.
It may be impersonal but so much less fatiguing that making many, many phone calls. Many more people are aware as the immediacy and the scope of the internet. In fact, people world wide are aware of the situation.
I have been able to connect with family who live around the world. Find friends from my youth and of days gone. Finding people has been one of my greatest thrills. I have even met a few new people, through mutual friends. I have shared joys, sorrows, achievements, and disappointments. I have had the opportunity to respond to a friend's need and promote causes I believe are worthy. I have seen pictures of places I have not been able to travel. I have gotten advice - it is a perfect environment in which to ask, does anyone know.....? In a moment, I can share with all my friends.
Yes, there are pitfalls to social media, no doubt. I agree with some of the naysayers. But there are also positives. As with everything in life - - everything in moderation. It applies to nutritional diets as well as social media, television, or any other vice. Now to tame the addiction in my own life and bring it back into moderation.
No comments:
Post a Comment